Toll system sees changes

By Mary Martin

With mounting tolls comes increased frustration for drivers without an I-PASS.

As of Jan. 1, the Illinois Toll way Authority doubled the price of tolls for drivers without an I-PASS

Illinois drivers and commuters must decide whether the I-PASS is a viable option.

Sophomore undeclared major Jillian Rodez decided she will get an I-PASS.

“It’s too much money,” she said. “I take I-294 sometimes and for two tolls it’s $1.60. It’s ridiculous.”

Some students are completely eliminating tollway trips from their commute to avoid the high costs.

“I don’t even want to go to Chicago now,” said Brian Wahl, graduate history major. “It’s deterred me because it’s so much more expensive.”

Between mid-November and mid-December 2004, the Illinois Policy Survey was conducted by the NIU Center for Governmental Studies and the NIU Opinion Laboratory. Its results confirm that 34 percent of 1,309 Illinois citizens randomly polled owned an I-PASS, but only 28 percent of the entire group supported Gov. Blagojevich’s plan to increase the tolls for drivers without an I-PASS.

Michael Peddle, NIU public administration professor, said he suspects that students who commute regularly already will have purchased an I-PASS.

I-PASS sales at Jewel-Osco stores reached 127,000 in the first week of January.

“It’s been great; we are extremely pleased,” said Lauri Sanders, Jewel-Osco public affairs director. “This partnership has allowed us to support the Illinois Toll Authority and has been a great way to get traffic into our stores.”

Initially, the I-PASS costs $50, which is broken down into a $10 deposit for the transponder and $40 in pre-loaded toll money. The account is available instantly upon activation.

The I-PASS is available at several locations, including the DeKalb Secretary of State’s office, 1360 Oakwood St., Jewel-Osco, 1320 Sycamore Rd. or online at www.getipass.com.

The Web site can also be used to access information regarding the I-PASS and I-PASS Assist (for income-eligible applicants) and can be used to activate and manage a new or existing I-PASS account.

-Staff reporter Jamie Lelle contributed to this story.