Orientation office finds new home

By Stephanie Szuda

For the past six years, the faculty of NIU’s orientation office has been spread around campus.

On Monday, the faculty finally settled under one roof in the basement of the Holmes Student Center in rooms 23A-H and 23M. The office was previously located in the Campus Life Building.

The orientation office has not been in a single office since 1999, said Daniel Turner, assistant director of the orientation office. Since January 2003, two assistant directors were located in the HSC, while a director and an assistant director were in the Campus Life Building.

Orientation office programs are run through the student center so it is convenient to have everything together, Turner said. The office hosts 33 programs a year.

“It’s good to be together as an office,” Turner said.

To make room for the orientation office, the Students Who Are Non-Traditional office was consolidated from two offices to one, and the SA art collection was moved to the basement of Founders Memorial Library. International Programs was previously located in the basement of the HSC and has since moved to the fourth floor of Williston Hall.

The move for the orientation office took a few partial days, and the cost was minimal, said Earl Seaver, vice provost.

“The move was very inexpensive; we made the best use of our resources,” Turner said.

The new academic advising center will occupy the open space in the CLB, Room 120. It will advise undeclared students and transfer students with no college affiliation, said Michael Broshers, coordinator of the academic advising center.

He said the center will begin its availability during the summer and fall semesters and will be staffed with four full-time staff members. The office of retentions program will also share the space in the CLB with the advising center.