High school shows lack of diversity

By Mike Neumann and Marlene Cruz

Emotions boiled as student groups criticized parts of the Diversity Task Force’s report on discrimination for DeKalb High School Tuesday.

Larry Bolles, head of the task force, presented the report to the school board with several recommendations for implementing new policies.

Included in the 85-page report were recommendations to instill consistent core values in the school to help increase cultural sensitivity among students and faculty, Bolles said.

“We need to take core values and get them out there to the students and to the parents,” Bolles said. “Students are willing to work with what you’ve come up with, I believe.”

The task force also recommended that school policies related to discrimination be implemented immediately.

The recommendations were based on responses by focus groups from various backgrounds. Some focus groups included members of the Black Student Union, athletes, honor students and faculty.

By studying these groups, they found DeKalb High School needed more diversity training and a more diverse faculty, Bolles said.

“The teachers’ [focus group] said they did not feel they had the proper training to deal with these situations,” he said.

Although board members said they were generally pleased with the report, some questioned the selection of members conducting the research.

Others feared the report did not center around the students.

“We want the report to be factual, accurate and culturally sensitive to the students, not just the administration,” said Yahcolyah Muhammad, a parent of students in the school district.

The board will continue to review the report at their next meeting, Feb.1at 7 p.m. in the District 428 Education Center, 901 S. Fourth St.