DHS task force working on student surveys

By Andy McMurray

DeKalb High School Principal Larry Stinson updated the school board on the progress of the diversity task force Monday night.

The task force was established after a racially charged student publication, E.G. Weekly, was distributed earlier this fall.

Stinson said the task force is working on a student survey and focus groups to help gather information on race relations at DHS, 1515 S. Fourth St.

“We are on the first phase of the task force,” he said. The task force has met twice so far.

The task force estimated a six to eight week time frame to gather information that will be used to make recommendations to the school board, Stinson said.

In other business, the board postponed a decision on a request to conduct research at Clinton Rosette Middle School, 650 N. First St. The request came from NIU Psychology Professor Michelle Demaray and psychology graduate student Kelly Hodgson.

The researchers’ goal is to find ways to improve student scores on standardized testing, Superintendent Paul Beilfuss said.

School board Vice President Suzanne Lambrecht said she was concerned about the nature of some of the questions on the surveys.

“It [the survey] gets into areas I don’t think we need to delve into with kids,” she said.

Lambrecht referred to specific “yes” or “no” statements such as “I hate myself.”

“I would not want my child to check ‘yes’ or ‘no,’” Lambrecht said.

Demaray said she appreciates the board’s concerns, but said she already has used the surveys in Illinois schools.

Board President Tom Teresinski asked Hodgson and Demaray to come back at a later date. He said the board would consider action then.