OCR open house to offer activities

By Brian Slupski

New to DeKalb? Looking for something to do until your old enough to get into the bars? NIU’s Office of Campus Recreation could have what you’re looking for.

OCR will be holding an open house Aug. 19 through Sept. 5 in which no student ID’s will be needed to use the OCR’s facilities. The expo will be held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the lobby of the Recreation Center.

“We’ve got quite a few things that are going to be happening and we’d like to encourage new students to take part,” said OCR Director Juliette Moore.

One special offer will be free-power low impact aerobics during the first two weeks of the semester.

Students interested in sports might want to take advantage of the OCR’s Sport Club Expo Aug. 26. The expo will get new students acquainted with the various sport clubs at the center.

“The expo is a chance for new students to learn about the center and the various clubs,” Moore said.

Sport clubs include, volleyball, badminton, fencing, table tennis and water polo, just to name a few.

Also, the Creative Arts Center will be starting classes and is looking for teachers in areas such as wood-working and ceramics.

The Recreation Center also has some new additions and activities for students. Students can now rent roller blades for $2.50 a day.

Modern equipment, such as a new leg press machine and two new bikes, now furnishes the weight room.

Students wanting to escape DeKalb need only wait until after Labor Day because OCR’s Outing Center will begin its trips.

Interested students will have the opportunity to go canoeing and back-packing.

Students interested in becoming “trip leaders” should contact the Outing Center about the trip leaders’ programs. For more information about the Outing Center or other activities at the Recreation Center call 753-0233.

Hours for the open house vary for the first four days. They are from 1 p.m to 10 p.m. on Aug. 19, from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Aug.20, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Aug. 21 and from noon to 10 p.m. on Aug. 22.