Glidden Florist spreads seasonal cheer with festive foliage

By Marlene Cruz

The holiday season is coming into full swing and Glidden Campus Florist and Greenhouse is helping shoppers prepare for the festivities.

Owner Sven Oscar threw his 66th annual holiday open house Saturday and Sunday at the shop, 917 W. Lincoln Highway. The florist offered 25 percent off of all Christmas decor and flowers and served Scandinavian treats.

“We do this to get the magic of Christmas into the community,” Oscar said. “We’re starting off the holiday season with a bang.”

As shoppers browsed the florist’s offerings, they were given Scandinavian treats such as glogg, a spiced Scandinavian alcoholic beverage, and various pastries.

Students came out for the open house and shopped for gifts for their families.

“Students can get ideas on what they could bring Mom for the holidays,” Oscar said.

Freshman business major Carly Kremkau visited Glidden for the first time during the open house.

“I really like the silk arrangements,” Kremkau said.

She also was looking at the holiday scented candles.

Hope Haven, 316 N. Sixth St., also benefited from the open house. Hope Haven is a homeless shelter in DeKalb.

As shoppers brought in non-perishable food items, they received a free designer holiday bow. Oscar said they had no tally of the items collected for Hope Haven.

By Sunday, 300 to 500 guests had visited the open house, Oscar said.

One of the most popular items was the silk, artificial Christmas display. The centerpieces were made with life-like green and red silk poinsettias and long red candles.

Glidden’s hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays.