Kingly aspirations produce life lessons

By Greg Feltes

Editor’s note: First person is a recurring feature that finds Northern Star reporters relaying their first-hand observations of happenings around campus. In this edition, Sweeps Editor Greg Feltes shares the story of the most important election of our lifetime …

So, I suppose more than a few people were surprised to open up the Star on Monday and learn that Greg Feltes, the supposed bane of the NIU community due to his alleged constant negativity, was on Homecoming court.

Sometimes I surprise even myself.

Contrary to popular belief, I love NIU – the people, the football team, the faculty, the campus, the student newspaper and, yes, even bike guy. NIU is my Rushmore, if you take my meaning. So when an opportunity to run for king came along, I aggressively pursued it as did many others. There were more than 30 applicants for homecoming court this year, 10 of whom made the ballot.

Campaigning began in earnest on Monday morning and ended Wednesday afternoon. It was unbelievably intense.

I was most surprised by the presence of Jarquetta Egeston, a senior business administration and write-in candidate. Egeston failed to be named to the court, but decided to run anyway because she thought it was important to spread school spirit throughout the black community.

“Even if no one came and voted, I was going ride it out,” she said.

Egeston paused.

“That sounds crazy, doesn’t it?” she asked.

The thing is – it didn’t.

Campaigning is such a fulfilling and unique experience because you really have to put yourself out there and talk to people that you normally wouldn’t look in the eye if you could avoid it. Over the course of three days, I comforted a girl whose cat had died the day before, learned how to do that weird Star Trek Vulcan hand signal, got a tan, wrapped myself in the American flag à la Reagan and proclaimed myself the “loser” candidate all in an effort to rack up oh-so elusive votes.

The entire Homecoming court and odds-defying Egeston will find out their fate on Sunday at a talent show at the at the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

The event begins a week of Homecoming festivities, all of which might scare off even the most avid NIU fan.

Last year, I dreaded attending “Yell like Hell,” an event where various organizations perform cheers based on a certain theme and … well … yell … a lot.

I was dead wrong.

The night was a ton of fun and you can’t help, but be impressed by how much work everyone involved puts into it.

That wasn’t the first time and it certainly won’t be the last time that I will be surprised or impressed by the NIU community.

Win or lose, this was an incredible experience that everyone should get to have in their life one way or another.

Of course, winning would be a lot more fun …