Dating dilemma: Who pays?

By Rachel Gorr

You are out on a date. You have had a wonderful evening. You really like this person. You would like to go out again. And then it happens.

WHAM!

You are now face-to-face with a little white slip of paper that says it’s time for you to fork over a dead president, or two, or three.

What is a college student to do?

Loosen your collar, dig deep into your pockets and bid Mr. Jackson goodbye? Slyly slide the bill across the table? Tell your date that it is time to go Dutch? Throw the receipt at the waiter and run for the door while screaming, “So long suckers?”

Well, Sweeps surveyed both sexes campuswide to put an end to the dilemm of who should pay what and when.

Sophomore undecided major Alex Brodsky had a rather old- fashioned view of things.

“Guys [should pay] because it’s just the way it has always been,” he said. “Even with the new ‘equal rights’ movement.”

Freshman sociology major Tracy Brdar agreed with a caveat.

“If the guy wants to make a good impression, he should pay,” she said. “But as a girl, I always offer to pay my half,” she said.

Jenna Marmy, a freshman physical therapy major, said girls should be prepared to go Dutch, and she wasn’t referring to that movie starring Al Bundy.

“Guys should not be expected to pay for girls, especially if they barely know the person,” she said.

Junior undecided major Brandon Grigsby said guys should pick up the check – at least at first.

“The guy should pay on the first date in order to make a good impression,” he said. “After that, they can split the cost, hopefully.”

Courtney Cichon, a freshman biological sciences major, said the “hopeful” Grigsby shouldn’t hold his breath.

“The guy should pay because he is privileged to be going out on a date,” she said.

So what should you do when you come face-to-face with that age-old dilemma? Well, really, that is still up to you and your date.

You can ask, “Do you want to go Dutch?” but please make sure you mean it, or else you might end up with 50 percent of the bill in your hand and not a penny in your pocket.