Friends mourn student’s violent death

By Sabryna Cornish

When Joseph Novy left for summer vacation, he expected to return to NIU in the fall, but he will not.

Novy, a 20-year-old NIU junior, allegedly was beaten to death May 27 in his hometown of Addison. Police reports state that Novy was beaten to death after he allegedly had been followed in his vehicle.

Vincent DiVincenzo, Jr., 18, also of Addison, was arrested and charged with first degree murder. The charges have been filed by the DuPage County State’s Attorney’s office. Bond was set at $500,000.

DiVincenzo and a friend had followed Novy in his car where he had stopped to visit a friend. DiVincenzo pulled up behind Novy’s vehicle and blocked him. The beating allegedly was spurred over a girl that Novy had dated three years ago. The two then allegedly began arguing about the girl. DiVincenzo then began kicking Novy in the head and back, according to police.

DiVincenzo then left and turned himself in to police a short while later, police said.

DiVincenzo is a quarterback at Addison Trail High School. According to the autopsy, Novy died of head injuries.

Novy was taken by ambulance to Glen Oaks Medical Center and then was transported to Loyola University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 9:35 p.m. May 27.

Novy was a member of the NIU soccer team and the NIU chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa.

The funeral mass was held June 1 at St. Philip the Apostle Catholic Church in Addison. Phi Sigma Kappa alumni Mark Vitale said more than 1,000 people flocked to pay their last respects to Novy.

“He was a fantastic guy,” Vitale said. “He was real close to everybody.” Vitale said Novy had just pledged to the fraternity in the spring.

Vitale said Novy’s death “was real tough” for everyone.

Novy was a member of Addison Trail Blazers’ soccer team and was captain for three of those years. The team was undefeated his sophomore year and he was named to the all-tournament team his senior year of high school.

Novy played for the NIU soccer team on scholarship.

Novy is survived by his parents, Karen and Richard and his brother, Frank.

DiVincenzo is scheduled to appear in court Thursday.

First degree murder is punishable by a prison term between 20 and 60 years.

“He was a fantastic guy. He was real close to everybody.”

Mark Vitale, Phi Sigma Kappa alumni