Student senate elections merit your vote

By Nick Arhos

Many students often wonder why they should take time to vote for students running for student office.

I’ll be honest: I never used to vote for student candidates … until I discovered it’s really the decisions of the most local of governments that affect our lives the most.

Do you know that Student Association senators are responsible for appropriating more than $1.3 million in student fees to campus organizations? That’s a lot of our money, and we ought to have responsible and trustworthy people dealing with it.

This Tuesday and Wednesday, NIU students will have the opportunity to vote for a trustworthy SA Senate candidate who will work for you when others have let you down in the past.

He’s a personal friend of mine and a more-than-qualified student senate candidate: He’s Mike Celis.

I’m confident the decisions Celis will make in the senate will benefit all of us.

Celis’ main focus will be on the appropriation of more money to the Student Recreation Center to support training in martial arts and boxing; he also plans to focus on reforming the bus system.

There’s a problem when buses run late, and as a result, make students late for classes. It disrupts order.

“The problem is that drivers are not accountable if they make you late for class,” Celis said. “Make them accountable, and they will be on time.”

Celis is the only candidate I have heard address this issue publicly.

He will propose stricter regulations on performance and accountability of drivers so that the bus system provides for students’ needs.

I’ve known him for two years now and can say honestly he is one of the most responsible and trustworthy of my friends. And I want him in student office not only because I want my friends in leadership positions, but also because I strongly believe he is the most qualified and knowledgeable person to represent us in the senate.

He has a plethora of experience in leadership.

During the summer, Celis was a regional political director for California State Assemblywoman Shirley Horton, managing all political activity in the Paadise Hills community in San Diego.

Before coming to NIU and earning a 4.0 GPA, he was recognized among the top 10 percent of Marines after his five-year military career.

During that time, he was put in charge of the security of many American embassies around the world. He was literally responsible for the lives of several hundred people.

His commanding officer once said that “[he] would trust him completely in any assignment … [he] would eagerly seek Sgt. Celis’ services in any capacity where the highest moral and personal character is required.”

I want you to visit one of the many voting locations around campus Tuesday and Wednesday and vote for the guy you can trust to make decisions that will affect your daily life here at NIU. Vote Mike Celis into the student senate.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.