Lasting impression

On the evening of Wednesday, March 24, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. hosted a Career Planning Workshop in the Holmes Student Center. One speaker, Kim Hutchinson, a nursing instructor on an exchange program from North Carolina, gave a captivating presentation directed toward the African-American women on NIU’s campus. While Mrs. Hutchinson’s presentation included interesting information about the health care field, as well as information about the nursing program here at NIU, her focus centered on the importance of appreciating, nurturing and caring for yourself, physically and mentally. She acknowledged the hardships of being a student and suggested that certain vital elements of a student’s lifestyle, such as proper diet, positive self-esteem, organization, focus and determination can make college life much more bearable. Mrs. Hutchinson’s presentation style was very relaxed, down-to-Earth and exceptionally motivating.

Mrs. Hutchinson is one of a very few African-American instructors at NIU, not to mention that she is the ONLY African-American instructor in the school of nursing. Mrs. Hutchinson made a lasting impression in my mind, as well as with many other female African-American students that night. I appreciate her commitment to maintaining positive images among the African-American student body, and I only regret that her time at NIU is limited, so that other students may not have the opportunity to talk with her and appreciate her, as well.

TERONNI JOHNSON

Junior

Health Administration