Tailgating now comes at a price

By Mark Pietrowski

Students who want to park their car and tailgate on the lawn in front of Huskie Stadium must first show their school spirit by joining the new Huskie Club.

Only students who pay a $25 membership fee to join the club may purchase a parking pass for an additional $25 that will guarantee a space to park their cars for tailgating.

Students can join the club and not buy a pass if they want. If they do choose to buy the pass, they will also be provided with reserved parking at the Convocation Center for all basketball games.

“I just think this is another way for the school to suck us dry from our already-bankrupt pockets. This sucks,” said William Cazares, a senior time arts major, who tailgated frequently at last year’s home football games.

Tekla Martin, director of external affairs for athletics, said students can still tailgate anywhere, but in order to park on the lawn portion they must buy the $25 pass. Martin said 125 spots have been set aside for students.

The remaining spots are reserved for season-ticket holders who are also donors to NIU athletics, she said.

She said, however, that a group of students can share a pass. For example, a fraternity could purchase one parking pass they could all use because the passes are for vehicles, not for students.

Students are still welcome to join friends tailgating on the lawn area with no charge as long as they walk there, Martin said.

According to Martin, the Huskie Club is replacing the Huskie Dawg Pound, a club supported NIU basketball. Membership in the Dawg Pound cost $5 included a T-shirt.

The Huskie Club is a non-profit organization designed to raise money for NIU athletics, Martin said. The money goes toward maintenance, equipment, upgrades and anything to do with athletics.

All students who join the club receive a club T-shirt, membership card and a vehicle decal. Members will also have access to the hospitality tent on the east side of the Huskie Stadium for football games. The tent offers a selection of food and beverage coupons each game.

Martin said they will see how the hospitality tent goes and they may include it for basketball games as well.

A major benefit of joining the club is that members won’t have to wait in line for tickets and will receive tickets for all home football games as long as they sign up by Sept.1, she said. Season ticket pickups will be Sept. 1 and 2.

Martin said she will be really excited if 500 students sign up for the club this year.

“I don’t know if they’ll get more students involved [in athletics],” said Paul Embi, a junior accounting major. “It’s a new season and Turner is gone.”

To become a Huskie Club member and purchase parking passes, students can go to the Convocation Center Box Office or contact Tekla Martin at 753-0800 for more information.