Bread costs students more dough

By Kartikay Mehrotra

The “Gold” and “Platinum” residence hall meal plans increased $5 per week this year, said Brien Martin, business manager for Student Housing and Dining Services.

The gold meal plan, purchased by 77 percent of residence hall students, jumped from $50 to $55 per week, or $880 per semester, Martin said. The cost for the platinum meal plan rose from $75 to $80, or by $1,280 per semester.

Although the price increased $5 per week, students will be able to spend the additional $5 on food each week, Martin said.

The “Titanium” plan did not change, because students generally don’t spend $100 a week on food, Martin said.

Budget constraints and the rising cost of food caused the meal plan prices to rise, Martin said. For instance, Pepsi products have risen 5 cents.

“It’s all based on what we have to pay to feed the students,” Martin said. “Increasing prices are harder and harder to keep down. Whether it be room or meal prices, it will hit the students.”

There has not been a change to the meal plan prices for at least five years, Martin said.

One student was surprised when she learned about the increase in prices. Tonia Buttacavoli, a sophomore undecided major living in Stevenson Towers, said she didn’t know about the increase until she actually made a transaction in the Stevenson dining hall.

“I have to pay an extra $80 per semester now,” Buttacavoli said, who has the gold plan.

Students should have learned about the plan by now from the Residence Hall Association, Martin said. He said SHDS expected RHA to tell the students through their meetings.

“We have to depend on RHA because they are part of the process of informing students for the projects we have planned,” Martin said.

Budget constraints in other parts of housing and dining have affected the halls.

The increase in minimum wage, which began Jan. 1, has forced SHDS to shell out an extra $500,000 to pay employees, said Melodie Thomas, coordinator of contract assignments for SHDS.

SHDS cut some positions due to the increase, Thomas said. Staffers no longer check NIU Identification and residence hall cards upon entering a residence hall after 11 p.m. Instead, students swipe cards to get into the building.

“Students are still expected to check students in, but it is based more so on an honor system,” said Thomas. “We have not had any problems yet.”

SHDS employs the largest number of students on campus, Thomas said.