Local theaters opt not to screen Moore’s political documentary

By Jessica King

The controversy created by Michael Moore’s documentary “Fahrenheit 9/11” no longer stops at the film’s content. The decision of several local theaters to refuse to screen the film has sparked debate as well.

Although “Fahrenheit 9/11” was the highest-grossing film during its nationwide release weekend of June 25, the closest theater to DeKalb playing the political documentary is the WOW 7 Cinema in Sandwich.

Herbert Rubin, a retired NIU sociology professor, said he was upset that GKC Theaters, which owns the Market Square Cinemas at 2160 Sycamore Road, will not play the documentary.

“It’s a private company, so it’s their right,” Rubin said. “But it still limits ideas. I don’t like anything censoring political ideas. The owner of GKC said she chose not to show “Fahrenheit 9/11″ to support the troops, but if you’ve seen the movie, you know it’s not about that.”

GKC Theaters runs 268 screens in 24 Midwestern cities. It is playing “Fahrenheit 9/11” at only one of its theaters, in Traverse City, Mich.

Repeated calls to GKC’s home office in Springfield were not returned.

Ferald Bryan, NIU associate communication professor, said GKC’s decision may have offended more people than it is trying to protect.

“Adult and children both when told they can’t do something, their curiosity is enhanced,” Bryan said. “People like those at GKC are making the film harder to see.”

NIU freshman business major Matt Evert said he thinks it is ridiculous for theaters to opt not to show the film. Evert saw “Fahrenheit 9/11” twice in one night.

“Theaters should play it because it’s a movie people should see, or at least should be able to see,” Evert said.

The independent Sycamore Theatre also is choosing not to show the film.

Bob Aspatore, assistant manager at Sycamore Theatre, said the three-screen theater usually plays family films. Some people have asked about “Fahrenheit 9/11,” he said, but Sycamore Theatre rarely plays R-rated movies.

The last film it played with that rating was “Troy,” but Aspatore said no one came to see it.

“Most people who come here are families and junior high and high school kids,” Aspatore said.

Campus Cinemas plays second-run films and may play Moore’s film in the future.

Rubin said that because the film is so current and topical, it needs to be seen now.

“After November, the movie won’t be worth very much,” he said. “It speaks to an upcoming election.”