Second VP candidate interviews for position

By Kartikay Mehrotra

The second candidate for the vice president for Student Affairs position interviewed Tuesday and Wednesday at NIU.

During the course of the two-day interview, Thomas Rios, currently the assistant to the vice president for Student Affairs-Research and Assessment at Indiana State University, met with administrators, faculty and staff who are looking to see the position filled.

Rios made a brief statement and answered questions at a public forum Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center.

Rios described his means to success as not solely result-oriented.

“People and leaders often have the right answers but don’t allow others to grasp the answers,” Rios said. “The process matters.”

Rios said results are achieved by saturating resources.

“Part of my style is engaging people in discussion and hearing the ideas of others,” he said. “We must bring the creativity on the fringes and put it to use.”

Rios applied because of the similarities between the NIU position and his current position, he said.

“NIU has a very diverse student contingent, made up of many first-generation college students,” Rios said. “I’m familiar with the demands of such students.”

Rios is the second candidate for the position to tour NIU.

Brian Hemphill, currently the associate vice chancellor for Student Affairs and dean of students at the University of Arkansas, went through a similar interview process on June 14.

Ivan Legg, NIU executive vice president and provost and chairman of the search committee for the vice president for Student Affairs, said the committee may make its decision within the next couple weeks.

After the committee makes its choice, the candidate will go before the affirmative action office.

NIU may negotiate further with the candidate and could bring him back for a second round of interviews.

Legg said the process could take up to three weeks.

The search committee will review the candidates when it meets Wednesday.