Hoobastank and Lostprophets invade NIU

By Deanna Cabinian

NIU students and others will get the chance to meet and greet one of the bands of MTV’s Campus Invasion Tour on Thursday before they perform at the Convocation Center later that night.

From noon to 3 p.m., one of the bands featured on the tour will be on hand to sign autographs at the Chick Evans Field House, said Kevin Selover, marketing manager for the Convocation Center. The band is yet to be determined and most likely will be chosen the day of the event, he said.

Hoobastank, whose hit singles include “Running Away” and “Crawling in the Dark,” is headlining the tour. The band Lostprophets, which probably is most well-known for its single “Last Train Home,” also will perform, and IMA Robot will be the opening act.

Besides getting autographs, Selover said this also will be an opportunity for students to get a sneak peek at the newly remodeled fieldhouse. He said T-shirt and other items will be given away, and members of MTV’s Rock the Vote campaign will be at the event.

Selover said he thinks the show is good for the arena for a few different reasons.

“I think this one appeals more to a younger crowd,” he said. “Hoobastank is a real hot band right now. It’s good to have them come to NIU.”

The only other rock show the arena hosted this year was Staind, so it’s good the arena is bringing another rock show, Selover said.

About 1,500 tickets have been sold so far, Selover said. He said the show could be opened up to accommodate 4,500.

Reserved tickets for MTV’s Campus Invasion Tour cost $23.50 and can be purchased at the Convocation Center, by calling Ticketmaster at 312-559-1212 or by visiting Ticketmaster.com. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

“If we could get 2,000, then I’d be ecstatic,” Selover said. “This is the last student show we have for the year, and I’m excited about it.”