Peters out of U. Tenn. presidential search

By Jaime Swanson

NIU President John Peters will not continue in the search for the University of Tennessee president.

“I’m relieved, to say the truth. It’s been very difficult,” Peters said in an interview with the Northern Star on Thursday.

The UT Search Advisory Council on Thursday narrowed its search list to six candidates, and Peters was eliminated.

Peters said that while he was honored to be one of 12 candidates chosen to continue with the search, he did not think he showed the necessary passion for the University of Tennessee during his interview Wednesday.

“I think I demonstrated passion for NIU,” he said. After reflecting on the interview, he said he realized his feelings toward NIU. Even if he had been chosen as one of the six candidates, he’s not sure he would have continued with the search process, Peters said.

Members of the NIU community have expressed their relief and excitement about Peters’ announcement that he will stay in DeKalb.

“I have been following the search very closely, and I couldn’t think of a better candidate for Tennessee,” said Michelle Emmett, NIU associate vice provost for Student Affairs. “However, I’m thrilled for Northern. Everyone I’ve talked to has indicated their resignation at the fact he was probably going to be leaving. This is a boost for the entire university and the community of DeKalb.”

Ivan Legg, executive vice president and provost, said he has known Peters since they both worked in Tennessee when Legg was the provost at the University of Memphis and Peters was provost at UT-Knoxville. Legg said he came to NIU because he had worked well with with Peters in Tennessee. When the opportunity arose for Peters to interview for the UT presidency, Legg said he was not excited about it but understood Peters’ decision. When he heard Peters would not continue in the UT search, however, he was glad.

“I’ve got one word for you: hallelujah,” Legg said.

Student Trustee Kevin Miller said two members of the UT search council interviewed him last week because they wanted student input about Peters. After Peters’ announcement Thursday, Miller said he was shocked UT did not decide to take him, but he’s relieved for NIU.

Peters said he appreciates the support everyone involved with NIU has given him, and he’s ready to move forward with plans that are in place, such as the long-term west campus project.

Also, Peters said he looks forward to moving into Altgeld Hall, where most offices at Lowden Hall are expected to move in July.

Peters will continue at NIU under the contract the Board of Trustees approved in December. The BOT agreed then to extend Peters’ contract until 2010 and raise his salary to $272,950, which took effect Jan. 1.

On Tuesday, the UT Presidential Search Committee will recommend no fewer than three candidates to the UT Board of Trustees. The board will decide Wednesday who will assume the duties of the UT presidency.