SA lashes out at CAB for lack of diversity

By Kevin Lyons

A resolution proposal slated for vote on Sunday could start some battles between the Campus Activities Board Concert Committee and the Student Association.

The proposal says CAB Concerts will be held accountable for “programming a variety of music and fiscal responsibility equally considered.”

Upon review of CAB Concert programming, it could be recommended for disciplinary action by the SA’s Standards Committee.

SA Sen. Trevor Rice said he feels CAB Concerts could do a better job in providing a variety of concerts for NIU students as he has noticed during his time at NIU.

“There’s a lot of rock and alternative music since I’ve been here,” Rice said. He indicated he would like to see more country and western, rap, jazz and rhythm and blues acts for large venues.

“It’s not a black-and-white issue or matter of race. It’s just a matter of variety and giving the students what they’re already paying for,” Rice added.

Kristen Sohacki, CAB concerts member, said she is very upset about the resolution.

“We’ve already given plenty of diversity,” Sohacki said noting shows such as The Black Crowes, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Faith No More, Torri Amos and Digable Planets.

She also said there has been a great deal of diversity among the smaller shows.

She stressed CAB Concerts’ admirable reputation with the music industry and the fact it has made a $60,000 profit this year, which is returned to the SA.

Regarding Rice’s proposal she said, “I think it’s totally malicious.

“We put in a lot of time and effort. We work very hard, volunteering our time to NIU students,” Sohacki said.

“More people went to the Black Crowes show than voted in the SA elections,” Sohacki added. “We draw so many people from this campus.”

Sohacki said the proposal is a form of censorship and CAB volunteers know what they’re doing. “This is what we do all of the time,” she said.