New building construction to start after finalsVisitor parking lot to shut down

By Rob Heselbarth

The beginning of construction for the Campus Life Building will mark the end of the NIU visitor parking lot.

The visitor pay lot, on the corner of Lucinda Avenue and Normal Road, is permanently closing May 15.

Helen Nodurft, manager of NIU Parking Services, said preparations for the construction of the Campus Life Building will begin on May 3.

“Starting on May 3 until May 14, anyone can park in the visitor parking lot at no charge,” Nodurft said.

“We will be taking out the gates and the signs and all of our equipment,” she said. “The guard building will still be there for a while, but people will be able to park in the lot for free.”

She said the power and all of the utilities will be cut off to the Campus Parking Services Building at the entrance to the visitor parking lot.

Patricia Perkins, assistant to the vice president of Finance and Planning, said the total project budget for the Campus Life Building was approved and the contract was awarded at the April Board of Regents meeting in Normal.

“The total project budget that was approved was for $7,095,000,” Perkins said. “Construction is scheduled to begin on May 15.”

The approved project budget was $855,000 less than the estimated project budget of $7,950,000.

She said the construction company awarded the contract is Ockerlund Construction of Morton Grove.

Ockerlund will erect a fence around the area where the Campus Life Building will be constructed, soon after the parking lot is permanently closed.

Nodurft said there will be no extra parking spaces created to make up for the loss of the visitor parking lot spaces.

“There is just no more room on campus to create extra spaces,” she said.

“We encourage students to park elsewhere and use the Huskie Bus system as much as possible,” she said. “The faculty also is encouraged to use the campus parking shuttle.”