Preliminary special census statistics to be released

By Libby John

Preliminary results from the DeKalb special census are expected to be released late next week.

Doug Eaton, planning technician for the city, said they predicted 2,000 to 3,500 more people to have been counted in the census.

If results are as expected, the city can receive about $200,000 to $350,000 more from the state annually.

The special census was taken so the city would have the opportunity to receive more money from the state in terms of gas and motor field tax and state income tax, Eaton said.

The gas and motor field tax money is used to maintain roads and build new ones. The state income tax money will be added to the city’s general fund, used for community services such as police, fire and public works.

Census-takers went door-to-door in February interviewing residents, he said.

“It went smoothly,” Eaton said. “There was a great deal of cooperation.”

The census took place in areas that might have had skewed numbers from the 2000 census or areas that might have had additional growth, Eaton said.

The areas include new subdivisions and off-campus student housing, such as at Spiros and Aspen courts.

Eaton said the 2000 census count was conducted in May after many students already were gone.

“The census looks at where a person spends a majority of their time,” Eaton said. “Students are here for nine months of the year.”

Official results from the census are not expected for a couple months, Eaton said.

He said they would have to go through the results and build a database of new addresses. They also will have to look at the integrity of the results.

A report of the census is expected to be sent to the state before July 1.

If growth continues as expected, Eaton said, another special census could be taken in 2005 or 2006.