Earth Week’s varied events to educate, celebrate planet

By Rob Heselbarth

Earth Week 1993, “Celebration of the Earth,” will be from Saturday, April 17 to Saturday, April 24.

Michelle Williams, assistant director of the Student Association Recycling program, said this year’s theme is designed to not only educate people about what is good for the earth, but to celebrate the earth as well.

“We have been planning Earth Week since about February so we are hoping for big turnouts for all the events,” Williams said.

From noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 17 in the King Memorial Commons SA Recycling is sponsoring “Clean the Scene.”

Williams said all NIU students are invited to participate in “Clean the Scene” and every Earth Week event.

“I have sent letters to all campus organizations inviting them to participate,” Williams said. “Anyone else who wants to join us is more than welcome.”

She said when everybody meets in the MLK commons, different groups will be assigned to different areas of the campus to clean up.

“Everything we pick up will be recycled. We will not just be throwing everything away,” she said.

There will be an Environmental Fair from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Farm Bureau on Sixth Street. Jim Gillihan is speaking from 11:15 to 11:45 a.m. at a presentation entitled “A look at the environment from a Native American view.”

On Sunday, April 18 NIU’s Bicycling Club is sponsoring “Earth Cycle” which will include a 48-mile ride and an 18-mile ride.

Dan Vandevoorde, president of NIU’s Cycling Club, said the two different rides will have two different routes.

“They will be some nice rides,” Vandevoorde said. “The routes will go through areas that are not as flat as campus. You will get a different perspective of DeKalb County.”

Individuals interested in participating in “Earth Cycle” can sign up in the Office of Campus Recreation.

On Monday, April 19 SA Recycling is sponsoring a jewelry and T-Shirt sale in the MLK commons. There also will be a discussion on vegetarianism and the environment at 9 p.m. in room 406 of the Holmes Student Center.

The Student Environmental Action Committee (SEAC) and the Campus Activities Board is sponsoring a plant sale from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20 in the MLK commons. The movie “Medicine Man” will be showing with an opening movie at 7 p.m. in the Sandburg Auditorium.

On Wednesday, April 21 the plant sale will once again be held in the MLK commons from noon to 1 p.m. At 7 p.m. in the Wesley Foundation “Destroying our grasslands and native prairies” will be discussed. The event is sponsored by Kishwaukee Area Residents for the Environment (KARE).

Earth Day is on Thursday, April 22. From 12 to 1 p.m. in the MLK commons, Unity and Diversity is sponsoring “Unity for Survival” and “Garbage Games” will be held from noon to 1 p.m. in the MLK commons. An environmental brainstorming meeting will be held at 9 p.m. in Diversions, sponsored by SA Recycling, Geo-Force and SEAC.

A movie titled “Koyaanisqatsi” will be shown at 8 p.m. on Friday, April 23 at the West Lagoon. The movie will show images of natural and human grandeur. In case of rain, the movie will be shown in Cole Hall.

Arbor Day is Saturday, April 24. OCR Outdoors will be giving away and planting 10,000 trees in the DeKalb Area. Interested persons should meet at 8 a.m. one half mile east of Annie Glidden Road on Taylor Street. Volunteers are needed for the event and are encouraged to call Ashley at 753-9418 for more information.