PRISM to honor leaders

By LaShaunna Watkins

The Presidential Commission on Sexual Orientation and PRISM are seeking nominations for the Eychaner Award.

Margie Cook, director of the University Resources for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center, said the award began in 1995 when PRISM celebrated its 25th anniversary as a student organization. The award is named after Milly and Howard Eychaner.

The Eychaners have gay children and have had a significant impact on the gay community, Cook said. The award became an annual award and is divided into two categories: One is given to an NIU student and the other is given to an NIU staff or faculty member.

Cook said being LGBT is not a requirement for the award.

“The criteria are that nominees must have contributed positively to the LGBT community,” she said. “It is open to anyone who has done so.”

The LGBT resource center has also started a “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning” support group. Patricia Garcia, one of the group’s coordinators, said the group is designed for students to share their thoughts and experiences with each other. Garcia stressed that it is not a support group just for people who have problems.

“This gives students a chance to talk about good experiences and find connections,” Garcia said. She said the group provides students with mutual support because they help each other through individual processes.

Garcia said the support group is free and confidential.