Off-campus housing availiblity going fast

By Libby John

The leasing season for apartments started in October, and students have to hurry if they hope to get a good deal, local retailers said.

Ryan Angelo, leasing agent from Pittsley Realty, said early December into January is usually “a madhouse,” as most potential renters start looking early because they want to find exactly what they’re looking for.

Jim Mason, owner of Mason Properties, said there currently should be a lot of property available.

Angelo said current lessees were given until Dec. 15 to renew their apartment lease with a guarantee it will be available.

About 60 percent of Mason’s property already is rented, Mason said.

Rent rates usually are based on other competitors’ rates, Angelo said.

According to American Chamber of Commerce Researchers Association, the average rent in DeKalb for a two-bedroom, 900-square-foot apartment is $619.

One of the most important things about renting the apartment is the lease, said Don Henderson, director of Students’ Legal Assistance.

Leases have a joint and several liability, which means lessors are responsible for their behavior as well as that of their roommates.

“People who are living together should sign at one time,” Henderson said. “If only two people sign it, and two others don’t, then [those who signed it] will be the ones responsible.”

Students also should be aware of the DeKalb landlord/tenant ordinance, which prohibits certain provisions in the lease.

For example, landlords are not allowed to barge in their tenants’ homes.

“There is a minimum one-hour waiting period, unless there’s an emergency, or the tenant asked them to come in,” Henderson said.

Landlords need a specific reason to come into the apartment such as for repairs or to show the apartment to potential tenants. In some cases, the landlords may ask workers to go into the apartments.

“Tenants are allowed to refuse to let people in,” Henderson said.

Another thing to be aware of is security deposits. In most cases, landlords will require tenants to pay one.

If a landlord chooses to withhold a security deposit, he or she must provide a written statement of the reasons.

If the security deposit is withheld because of damages to the apartment, the landlord has 30 days to provide a statement of the damages and receipts and bills for purchases.

Henderson said it’s important that the tenants provides a working address so the landlord can provide them with that information.

When looking at an apartment, potential tenants should come with a list of questions. It’s also important that the lease says the apartment the tenant will live in a space similar to the one they were shown.

Students’ Legal Assistance can help potential tenants look over and review leases, Henderson said. A copy of the landlord/tenant ordinance can be found at www.cityofdekalb.com.