College of Business appoints acting dean

By ROB HESELBARTH

NIU Provost J. Carroll Moody has appointed an acting dean of the College of Business to replace the existing dean who will be leaving at the end of this school year.

Moody has appointed David Graf to assume the position of acting dean, effective July 1, 1993.

In a memo from Moody to the faculty, administration and staff of the College of Business, he stated, “I strongly believe that (Graf) will provide active, excellent leadership during the 1993-1994 academic year.

“I have met with the College Council and the College Senate jointly to discuss the appointment,” Moody said. “I am pleased that the Council and Senate share my view that he is the best choice.”

The members of the College Council are faculty members who are elected by their peers. The College Senate is comprised of the department chairs.

David Graf, associate dean of the College of Business, said he is very pleased to be named acting dean. “I’m looking forward to the challenge,” Graf said.

“This is kind of a transition year between searching for a permanent dean and appointing me as acting dean,” he said. “I will do my best during the transition period.”

Graf has been employed at the NIU College of Business for 17 years. “Having been here for a long time, I feel confident about fulfilling the position,” he said.

Richard Brown, dean of the NIU College of Business, will be leaving to take over as dean of the College of Business at the University of Wisconsin at Parkside (UWP).

Brown said he will be able to spend more time with students and faculty at UWP because UWP only has 5,000 students.

Moody said he hopes to have a Dean’s Search Committee started

before the end of the spring semester.

“I will ask the college to select members of the search committee from their staff. I plan to start a formal national search in August,” he said.

“I have also asked the Council and Senate to look at where they see the college going in the next years and how they want to make progress,” he said.

“From their findings they will develop criteria for the permanent dean,” Moody said.

He said during the early part of the fall semester nominations will be made and applications will be accepted for a permanent dean.

“In the spring semester we will hold on-campus interviews and hopefully appoint a permanent dean by July 1, 1994,” he said.