Gettin’ artsy at the Institute

By Chaz Wilke

Valentine’s Day for some was an opportunity to spend the day with fellow art lovers on NIU’s “Get on the Bus” day trip to the Art Institute and NIU Chicago Gallery.

The “Get on the Bus” program has been taking monthly trips for about 10 years.

-“We’ve gone to other galleries [in the past] and art or architecture or cultural places … art fairs, University of Chicago, art studios,” said Jo Burke, assistant director of the NIU Art Museum.

The Art Institute is most frequented because it is so easy to get to and they offer so many good exhibits, Burke said.

Saturday’s trip was a great opportunity for students to mingle with professors on a more informal level. Unfortunately, very few students attended.

“I think they could’ve gotten more people to go if they advertised for it,” senior illustration major Jaime Torraco said.

The bus was filled with about 16 people. Some were elderly couples, which seemed fitting for Valentine’s Day.

The group rolled into the Art Institute at 11 a.m. and we were offered a choice — either come with the professors or wander around on your own and take things in as you chose.

That was the beauty of this trip. They provide transportation to Chicago but guests can do as they please. Everyone met again at 1:45 p.m. and went to the NIU Chicago Gallery, 215 W. Superior.

The NIU Chicago Gallery consisted of selected works from professors and provided perfect ambiance for the three formal presentations.

Joshua B. Kind gave a lecture on the inherent elitism of museum curators and how they disallow information to the general public.

Catherine Raymond gave a presentation called “New Discoveries at Vat Sisaket, Vientiane, Laos.”

Jeff Kowalski gave the final presentation on the Mayan ball game and the legend around the sport and its players.

As everyone exited the bus back in DeKalb, praise was given by every member of this program.

The NIU “Get on the Bus” program accepts membership but is open to all with a price break for students. Go on one if for nothing else that to get out of DeKalb for a day.