MTV campus invasion comes to niu

By Mike Morig

The music television station is bringing its Campus Invasion Tour to the Convocation Center on April 22.

Hoobastank will headline the tour, and Lostprophets and IMA Robot will join the show.

Hoobastank, the most well-known of the three bands, formed in 1994 and released its post-grunge style of music on a self-titled album in 2001. The CD featured the hit singles “Crawling in the Dark” and “Running Away.”

The group recently released its latest album, “The Reason,” in 2003.

Kevin Selover, marketing manager for the Convocation Center, said they have received many requests for rock bands to come to DeKalb.

“Hoobastank is an unbelievable rock band whose popularity seems to be climbing by the week,” Selover said. “We had a great turnout with Staind, and having MTV’s name on the tour really helps out the show.”

While the arena will advertise on the radio and in newspapers, MTV will promote the show on national television, Selover said.

The tour began in 1998 and has featured acts such as Bush, Third Eye Blind, Sum 41 and Nickelback.

This is not the first time MTV has brought the Campus Invasion Tour to DeKalb. The show came to the Chick Evans Field House in 2000 and featured performances by Wyclef Jean, De La Soul and Black Eyed Peas.

The show cost the Campus Activities Board about $80,000, and about 2,000 people came out for the show.

Tickets for the MTV Campus Invasion Tour go on sale this Friday. Selover said 4,000 seats will be available.