Fashion show lights up student center

By LaShaunna Watkins

There were no seats available at Present Perfect Modeling Organization’s 16th annual Afrocentric fashion show.

The Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom was filled with NIU and Kishwaukee Community College students eagerly waiting to see the show, which featured many scenes of African culture.

The introduction of the fashion show featured an Egyptian queen entering the stage dressed in gold.

The first scene paid tribute to Egyptian culture as the models walked to Michael Jackson’s “Remember the Time” and the Bangles’ “Walk Like an Egyptian.”

The fashion show also featured a scene with formal clothing in red, black and green, which are the colors of the African flag.

NIU dance group Rhythm Nation also performed at the fashion show. The group incorporated several scenes into its performance.

PPMO choreographed a scene that featured traditional African clothing. The emcee called the scene a “true representation of African-American culture.”

Sophomore criminology major Dominique Pierce said she enjoyed the performance. She said it was a great tribute to black culture.

“I thought it was an excellent show,” Pierce said. “I especially enjoyed the formal garments modeled, and I also enjoyed the performance by Rhythm Nation.”