Boycott reflects history

By LaShaunna Watkins

As part of the Black Student Union’s “Black Down Memory Lane,” Huskie buses will be boycotted Friday.

DuJaun Smith, BSU treasurer, said the event’s purpose is to reflect and pay tribute to those who aided the Civil Rights Movement. He said the BSU wanted to do something different for the end of Black History Month.

The event will begin with a daylong boycott of the Huskie Bus system, Smith said. He said this event is not intended to slight the Huskie Mass Transit Line but instead to enable students to reflect on their history.

“Those individuals walked for 381days to change the bus system,” Smith said.

The main event of the day will be the mock protest sit-in at the Campus Life Building.

“The purpose of the sit-in is to help students on campus to get a better understanding of the impact of not only the Civil Rights Movement, but also to gain a slightly different perspective on black history and the sacrifices made for our society to be where it is today,” Smith said.

The Rev. James Luther Bevel will be the guest speaker at the sit-in.

Bevel was the director of Non-Violent Education and Direct Action for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference from 1963 to 1968.

Smith said Bevel will clarify and educate students on the Civil Rights Movement’s past efforts. There also will be time for students to remark on the efforts, Smith said.

Following the sit-in, there will be a dinner at the Center for Black Studies that will coincide with a wrap-up discussion about the day and future plans for peace and justice.

All students are encourage to participate, regardless of ethnicity, Smith said.

“The least we can do as human beings is to honor those individuals,” he said. “It will definitely help broaden our horizons.”