SA rejects political group

By Nick Swedberg

A politically motivated student group seeking recognition was rejected during Sunday’s Student Association Senate meeting despite efforts from senators to save the failing group.

The senate made what Senate Speaker Andrew Nelms called a “parliamentary snafu” when the student group Generation Dean was voted down. Senator Michael Potjeau motioned to reconsider the vote taken by the senate.

“We want to be a voice for Howard Dean,” said Albert Nelson, secretary of the organization, in describing the group’s motivation.

However, it was other comments made by Nelson that sparked debate among some of the senators and others in attendance.

“We feel this school has no politically active group on campus other than the College Republicans,” Nelson said.

The SA recognizes an organization called College Democrats whose mission statement states that it “serves as an organization on campus dedicated to supporting, learning and sharing the democratic ideals that have been with our nation since its beginning,” according to the SA Web site.

Instead of following through on the senate’s original vote, debate was opened up for the motion to refer the group to the senate committee on student organizations.

Potjeau said the SA could work with the group instead of rejecting it outright.

Despite efforts from Nelms and Potjeau, the senate’s original sentiment held up in the second vote and the group did not receive recognition.

New additions to the senate

The senate filled a vacant seat when it approved sophomore history major Juan Leal as its newest member. Nelms said Leal has shown an interest that has continued since the seat became vacant.

The senate also approved the addition of a student-at-large to the SA finance committee.

Dan Abbatacola, a sophomore business finance major, recently transferred from Eastern Illinois University and sought to become a part of the finance committee without any provocation, Nelms said.

“We need him,” Senator Conicia Jackson said. “That’s all I wish to say.”

Senator Philip Stroud said the senate would “look really bad” if it did not approve someone who so actively sought to become a part of the SA.