New Pow Wow name voted on

By PETER SCHUH

On the heels of the Student Association’s elections, NIU has seen a second election which could change the look of NIU.

The Holmes Student Center Board voted last night on a new name for the Pow Wow Cafeteria.

The board had decided late last semester to change the name of the cafeteria, which is located on the ground level of the student center, in response to a request made by NIU’s Native Americans Together Insuring Our Nations Sovereignty.

(NATIONS) opposed the name because it felt the word “pow wow,” which means a spiritual gathering in the Native American language, was not being used in its correct context.

“It really is the vice president’s (of Business and Operations) approval,” said HSC Director Judd Baker. “I think he’ll go with the advice of the board but I’m sure the (president’s) cabinet will be involved in this.”

During Thursday’s meeting, the HSC board picked the name “The Center Cafe” as their first recommendation for the new name and “The Bus Stop Grill” as their second recommendation. Both names will be sent to NIU Vice President of Business and Operations James Harder.

The names were chosen from a pool of six names the board had selected during their last meeting from the myriad of student recommendations.

The remaining four proposed names were The Turnaround, Victory Cafe, The Gathering and The Ground Floor.

The Bus Stop Grill initially was suggested as The Bus Stop but altered during the meeting because some board members felt it more aptly defined cafeteria.

“People have suggested we turn it back into a grill,” Baker said.

The Center Cafe was chosen by several board members because it identified the cafeteria with the student center.

Baker responded to the concerns of some board members, addressing how the cafeteria will be decorated regardless of which name is chosen.

“We’ll just have to try to build around that,” Baker said. “The theme will be built onto the name.”

NATIONS‘ appeal, made last fall semester, requested new names for both the Pow Wow Cafe and the Blackhawk Cafeteria. Although the HSC board had agreed to change the name of the Pow Wow, it refused to change the name of the Blackhawk. Instead, it agreed to refurnish the Blackhawk with Native American art and either a plaque or a statue commemorating Blackhawk as a famous Native American chief.

“We understand what NATIONS is talking about,” Baker said about the Pow Wow. “If they feel the name is offensive then we have no problem complying with their request. The name ‘Pow Wow’ carries no significance for me and I don’t believe it does for the building.”

Baker had said at the beginning of semester that the name change would not take effect until next semester.