Calling all NIU pro prospects

By Frank Rusnak

NIU football’s Vinson Reynolds knows it would be easy to forget about school now that the season is over and he’s working out with an agent to play football professionally.

But getting a degree is the No. 1 priority for the fifth-year senior defensive end.

“When I first got to NIU, that was the main goal – walking across that aisle,” said Reynolds, who is taking a 12-hour class load. “It would mean a lot to me being the first one out the family to graduate. It would just make my mother so proud.”

Hailing from Detroit, Mich., Reynolds’ mom worked at a warehouse until she was laid off recently.

“It’s kind of tough at the crib,” Reynolds said. “My family is basically living through me right now. They support me in what I do and I keep fighting for them and I don’t give up.”

Reynolds is one of nine NIU seniors who are represented by agents and who aspire toward a job in professional football.

While the NFL is the ultimate goal for all the players, options such as the Canadian Football League, Arena Football League and NFL Europe are all viable choices, safety Akil Grant said.

“If I get an offer, I’m going to pursue that,” Grant said, “but I plan on coming back and finishing up school in the off-season or when I’m done with football.”

Place-kicker Steve Azar and wide receiver P.J. Fleck have finished the required classes to graduate and aren’t taking classes this semester. Azar is working out in his home state of Colorado. Fleck is student-teaching at Clinton Rosette Middle School in DeKalb.

Offensive tackle Leonard Cooksey, linebacker Nick Duffy, center Todd Ghilani and Grant are taking classes at NIU this semester while working out with their agents, but will not be ready to graduate at the end of the semester.

Cornerback Randee Drew is the last Huskie taking classes, and will be set to graduate after this semester when his 14-hour class load is finished.

Drew, however, is in Nevada for the first week of classes to prepare for Saturday’s Las Vegas All-American Classic.

“When I come back, I’m going to have to make up a lot of work,” Drew said. “I’m willing to make it work. I’m not asking for a free ride and I’m still willing to work, but I just need a little leniency from my teachers.”

The leniency likely will be asked from all the players’ teachers. When an NFL team wants to workout a player, rarely do they take into account student-athlete’s class load.

“As the months go, on I could get a call and they will tell me to be on the plane to go to Carolina to work out for the Panthers, or wherever. It will be tough,” Drew said.

Running back Michael Turner realizes it will be hard, which is why he dropped out of school.

An All-American, Turner’s draft status is widely considered the best of any of the Huskies. He is the second strongest player on the team -No. 2 bench press (400 pounds) – and quickest – 4.41 second 40-yard dash. The North Chicago native is predicted as a third-round pick by nfldraftblitz.com.

“I’m going to be going to places and traveling,” said Turner, who will work out with a friend of his agent in New Orleans as well as in DeKalb. “I’m going to be training constantly. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity here and I can’t pass it up.”