‘Name the Partnership School’ contest to be held

By Robert Filicette

Children currently in pre-kindergarten through fourth grade can submit an entry for the “Name The Partnership School” contest.

The former Malta High School, located on Route 38 in Malta, will be turned into an elementary school next year.

NIU and DeKalb District 428 are organizing the contest for students currently enrolled in the district. The students need to write and submit an essay, with the help of their parents and teachers.

Judges will review the names and essays and will award a $25 gift certificate to Border’s Books and Music to the winning student.

Scott Kubelka, newly hired principal of the partnership school, said suggestions for a name include prominent figures in the community, state and nation.

Kellie Sanders, principal of Little John Elementary School in Dekalb, said they will be giving out information next week.

“We will also be incorporating it into our newsletter, which can also be accessed on the school district Web site,” Sanders said. “I already know that a lot of the schools have put it in their newsletters already.”

“I’m very excited. This is a unique opportunity for students to focus on their school,” Kubelka said. “All children get to be involved in this contest.”

Christine Sorensen, dean of the College of Education, said a partnership school is when a school district and NIU work together to share parts of the school process.

Kubelka said a partnership school is one that still teaches the core curriculum of regular elementary schools and includes fine arts and technology in the curriculum.

“NIU already has partnership schools in Harlem, Rockford, Kaneland, Rochelle, Elgin, West Chicago, Glen Ellyn, DeKalb and Chicago,” Sorensen said. “The difference with this school is it’s the first one to be built from the ground up.”

All entries for the contest must be received by Jan. 9 and can be mailed or delivered to the Education Center, 901 S. Fourth St.