Columnists stir controversy

By Kevin Lyons

Some very disgruntled Student Association senators and other NIU students formed a new student caucus primarily to serve the interest of African-American and Latino students, largely in response to two recent Northern Star columns.

The senators united to demand an apology for use of the word “Mexiclan,” in reference to a group of Latino SA senators and what they referred to as personal attacks on NAACP President-elect Marcus Lee and SA Sen. Trevor Rice in two recent Star columns.

Star columnists Eric Krol and Phil Dalton wrote two unrelated columns where Krol used the term “Mexiclan” and Dalton challenged Lee to a debate on the outcome of the Rodney King verdict.

The permanent caucus members demanded an apology from Krol, The Star and NIU President John La Tourette saying they hold each party responsible for what they consider racist actions.

Sen. Reyna Hohagen read a prepared statement calling Krol’s column unprofessional, uninformed and slanderous. She said the now-permanent caucus will be expecting an apology before taking further steps regarding the column.

About 30 students packed into the SA conference room for an ad hoc press conference on the columns to announce the formation of the new caucus.

Other SA senators present included Senate Speaker Nelson Perez, Sen. Chico Vargas, Sen. Nicole Howell, Sen. David Marquez, Sen. Paul Alvarez, Sen. Asian Mitchell and Sen. Jessie Medina.

Perez said the term “clan” is a derogatory term referring to a “savage or primitive group of people inclined to mob action.” He added not all of the senators the column referred to are of Mexican descent but rather of a variety of Latin descents.

Other senators commented on the columns in question and the purpose of the newly-formed independent caucus.

“I can’t understand why Eric Krol would write this. It was totally callous on his part,” Medina said.

“How could a term like “Mexiclan” go through? How could something this stupid get through the edit board?” Medina added.

Howell said she questioned the Star itself, as she has many times the past. “I think Eric Krol should lose his job so we won’t have to worry about him anymore,” she added, suggesting Krol has had a history of being racially insensitive.

Mitchell said everyone at the Star is responsible for reprimanding Krol’s actions to “stop this kind of hatred.”

Krol said he did not care to apologize but said the word “Mexiclan” was taken the wrong way.

“The term “Mexiclan” was certainly in no way meant as a racial slur,” Krol said. “This is just one example of when people read something and don’t entirely comprehend it.”

Regarding the allegations of the columns being personal attacks, Krol said, “If they’re going to combat in a public arena they should expect to be held open for criticism.”

The Star’s masthead and editorial policy states: “Editorials represent the opinion of The Northern Star editorial board and are not necessarily the opinion of the adviser, students, faculty or administration of NIU. Signed editorial matter is the opinion of the author.”

Medina said he is totally against censorship, but stressed the offensiveness of Krol’s column, particularly the word “Mexiclan.”

Some of the main objectives of the African-American and Latino/Latina Caucus include: uniting African-American and Latino/Latina students, recruitment and retention of such students, opposing all forms of racism, sexism and oppression, building a consciousness among such students on issues affecting them and outcasting the term “minority” as a classification and label.

One senator said “minority” is a power term as opposed to a classification term.