Immigrant pop. shrinks

By Robert Filicette

DeKalb County’s international immigration population has declined over the last few years.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Census, the international immigration population for DeKalb County rose from 87 people in 1999 to 491 people in 2001.

The trend has changed recently, though, declining to 393 people in 2002.

Deborah Pierce, executive director of international programs at NIU, said since Sept. 11, 2001, all controls were increased significantly.

“Border enforcements and ports of entry have been tougher ever since Sept. 11,” Pierce said.

Pierce said she believes the numbers of international immigrants eventually will rise again.

The number of international students at NIU, however, has not seen a decline.

Dawn Galbreath, secretary for the International Student and Faculty Office, said the number of international students at NIU rose from 675 in 1999 to 842 in 2001. The number of international students for 2003 is 1,587.

The number of international students has increased since 1999 and hasn’t seen a decrease because of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

“If our numbers dip down, it’s because of staffing,” Galbreath said. “We don’t have an admissions officer so we have a number of people here doing more than one job.”

Galbreath also said the international students not getting accepted, or not being able to get visas, are reasons for a possible decline.

Ruth Anne Tobias, research associate for NIU’s Center for Governmental Studies, said there isn’t a clear answer to why DeKalb’s international immigration population has decreased, because there have been increases in all surrounding counties.

“Migrants usually come to a place for a job or because they know someone,” Tobias said. “There just may not be any jobs locally.”