Annual smokeout held today

By Cameron Orr

Today, smokers all over the nation are encouraged to put away their lighters for a day.

The Great American Smokeout is an annual event initiated by the American Cancer Society in 1977. The goal is to show smokers that if they can quit for one day, they can quit for a lifetime.

According to a study done in spring 2002 by University Health Service, 70 percent of NIU students are non-smokers. Of the 30 percent that do smoke, nine out of 10 expressed an interest in quitting.

“For most people, it takes four to seven attempts before they are successful,” said Mary Strohm, a health educator at Health Services. “We try not to look at these as failures, but as steps in the right direction.”

Today NIU is sponsoring its version, “The Great NIU Smokeout.” Events have been held throughout November, starting with involvement at a football game at the beginning of the month, and continuing through the game on Saturday, at which Victor E. Huskie will face off with Snarlboro in a celebrity deathmatch.

Also new this year is the opportunity to trade in a pack of cigarettes for a cold turkey sandwich. This can be done at the Holmes Student Center, Student Recreation Center or University Health Service.

Karen Grush, administrator at the DeKalb County Health Department, said there are no special events planned by the health department, but the goal is to raise awareness throughout the county, particularly through the media.

“The most important reason people should quit smoking is to enhance the length and quality of their lives,” Grush said.

According to the American Cancer Society, the health benefits of quitting smoking begin to take effect as soon as eight hours after quitting.

“Those students who have tried [to quit] and failed, we encourage to try again,” Strohm said.

Both Strohm and Grush said there are a number of resources available both on- and off-campus for those interested in quitting.

University Health Service offers two options. First, the free UHS “quit kits” include various literature and aids that people who have successfully quit smoking have found useful.

There also is a program available in which clients are in a one-on-one coaching situation to help them quit smoking. In addition to these services, if students are interested in trying a patch or gum program, UHS can provide them with a week’s supply. All services are free of charge.

For those off campus who are interested in quitting, Grush said calling 866-QUIT-YES will enable them to get access to similar free services.