Women leaders to be recognized

By LaShaunna Watkins

NIU’s most outstanding female students will be recognized in April for their outstanding achievements.

University Resources for Women is sponsoring “Recognition of Students with Exceptional Strengths” program.

Sharon Howard, director of University Resources for Women, said the program has been in existence since 1980.

“We wanted to foster the leadership of women among NIU students,” Howard said.

Howard said the contest is open to all female NIU students, but URW prefers women who will graduate in May, August or December of 2004 who hold at least a 3.0 grade point average. Nominated students can be senior undergraduates, graduate students or third-year law students.

Howard said they are looking for students who have formal or informal leadership experience. Howard said informal leadership is having a significant influence on people.

“We want to recognize women who have shown outstanding leadership with community involvement, scholarship and obstacles they have overcome,” she said.

She said the purpose of the award is to encourage women and to develop their strengths.

Howard stressed the program is not a competition. It is a recognition program. There is no limit on the number of women who can be chosen to be recognized.

Faculty, staff and students can nominate students. According to the URW Web site, the honorees will be determined by an eight-person selection committee comprised of the sponsoring units, including the Presidential Committee on the Status of Women, the Office of the President, the Office of Student Affairs, the Organization for Academic Women’s Equality and the Office of University Resources for Women.

The chosen women will be honored at a ceremony in April 2004. Howard said NIU President Peters will give remarks about the achievement of the women and will assist with distributing awards.

Howard said she likes the program because each woman is given a “level playing field,” and each year women from all ethnicities, experiences and academic backgrounds are honored.

To nominate a student, visit www.niu.edu/women/pcsw/nonform.shtml.