Scantrons color your grade

By Deanna Cabinian

Most NIU students have taken tests on a Scantron. Students probably also have filled out teacher evaluations on a Scantron sheet. But does anyone stop to think about where Scantrons go after they’ve been handed in?

After students hand in their completed Scantrons, the professor or an authorized courier returns them to Testing Services, located in Adams Hall, Room 128.

Assuming there are no problems, it takes one second for each Scantron to be graded, said John McAnally, information systems manager for Testing Services.

There are a few things that can cause Scantron errors, McAnally said. He said if students code two answers, it causes errors because the machines can read only one answer per question.

The machine works by reflecting light off pencil marks, McAnally said. If a student uses a pen instead of a No. 2 pencil, the machine won’t read it correctly. He also said if an answer is smudged, the operator has to figure out which oval the student shaded. The scanner reads 16 different levels of shading and has sensors to make sure only one sheet is pulled at a time.

In a typical day, about 2,500 to 3,000 sheets are scanned. During finals week, up to 5,000 sheets may be scanned in one day, McAnally said.

With the large volume of Scantrons, a system is needed to keep them straight. When an instructor brings Scantrons to be graded, they are kept together with rubber bands or paperclips and put into individual boxes, McAnally said. The boxes are labeled with the class, section and professor’s name, and are organized alphabetically by department.

To grade the Scantrons, the professor fills out a key with the answers to the test. Operators scan the answer key first and the students’ Scantron sheets after, McAnally said.

Testing Services has three Scantron machines, McAnally said. During the year, they generally only use one, but they usually use two during finals week. The third machine, McAnally said, is a backup.

Although Testing Services primarily scans tests and surveys for the university, the office also does work for outside agencies, which they charge for, McAnally said. Outside services include scanning election ballots.

“We process about half a million sheets a year with all the surveys,” McAnally said.

What some may not know is that Scantron isn’t the only name for the sheets and machines, but rather is a brand. “Scantron’s just a name that everyone knows, like Kleenex,” said McAnally. Testing Services actually has NCS-brand scanners, not Scantron scanners, he said.