Sorority to celebrate Kwanzaa

By LaShaunna Watkins

Delta Sigma Theta is sponsoring a weeklong celebration of Kwanzaa.

Meagan Lumpkin, member of Delta Sigma Theta, said the organization decided to sponsor the event to increase awareness about different cultural celebrations.

Lumpkin said the seven principles of Kwanzaa will be celebrated including: Imani (faith), Kujichagulia (self-determination), Ujima (collective work and responsibility), Kuumba (creativity), Ujamaa (cooperative economics), Nia (purpose) and Umoja (unity).

A voter’s registration drive will be held at the residence halls during the week. Lumpkin said Delta Theta Sigma hopes the drive will encourage students to take an active role in the governmental official election process.

The sorority will spend part of the week at Chesebro Elementary School in DeKalb to teach students about the origin and purpose of Kwanzaa, Lumpkin said.

A self-made millionaire will talk about investments at one of the week’s events. Lumpkin said she strongly encourages students to come to the event because they will learn to manage their money wisely.

“Most people don’t know how to manage their money after graduating,” she said. “This event will give them some direction.”

Students also will have the opportunity to help make a quilt, Lumpkin said. Delta Sigma Theta will have stations in the residence halls where students can make patches to make up the quilt.

“We promote unity in diversity,” said Jarquetta Egeston, member of Delta Sigma Theta.