Students out for blood

By Deanna Cabinian

There’s a group of NIU students out for blood, but it’s not because of Halloween.

The Student Blood Commission, which strives to increase student blood collections on campus, will meet at 9 p.m. Wednesday at the front entrance of DuSable Hall.

“Heartland Blood Centers is the sole provider to Kishwaukee Community Hospital and Kindred Hospital,” said Annie Goddard, marketing representative for Heartland. “Therefore we are trying to increase collections on NIU’s campus that will go to members of the community. The purpose is to save lives.”

Goddard said the commission also will promote and publicize NIU blood drives, inform the NIU community about the blood commission and contact other organizations and groups of people to get them involved with blood drives.

NIU used to have a student blood commission in the early ’90s, Goddard said.

“It was a great student-run organization that increased blood collections on campus, as well as blood donation awareness,” she said.

Goddard said she’s not sure why the blood commission disbanded, but said she wants to get it started again.

Anyone can join the commission. The first step is attending Wednesday’s meeting, Goddard said. There will be free pizza at the gathering.

Goddard said the commission will elect officers soon. For more information, call Goddard at 630-723-2559.