Students fined for damage

By Jen Bland

“The boys of seventh floor Stevenson South have been cordially uninvited from their floor next year” according to fliers being handed out around campus.

These residence hall dwellers rang up a floor damage bill in the neighborhood of $980.

Instead of taking the news lying down, the 7B Preservation Alliance immediately sent out fliers and rallied some NIU support.

The fliers continue: “Due to their failure to curtail any and all behavior which has created extra cost and inconvenience to their communal environment, and their inability to take anything seriously, the powers that be have banished them from returning to their rightful home on the seventh floor. Since these orphaned young men have nowhere to turn but the cold DeKalb streets, this is your chance to lend a hand and adopt one of these unfortunate orphans. For just pennies a day, you can make a difference in a homeless person’s life. A fundraiser will be held to provide for these needy young men. Our goal is $978.06 (to cover floor damages) and we will not stop until these poor guys have a place to rest their heads next fall. Fund raising results will be updated and displayed daily in the lounge window. Thank you for your support. Sincerely, the 7B Preservation Alliance. P.S. Feel free to send supportive mail to 726 or 728 S.T.S.”

The Preservation Alliance charter members are freshmen Craig Parshall and Greg Ashline and sophomore Nick Wand.

Ashline said, “There was nothing to do on the floor that night and we heard our floor was being closed so instead of studying we made up the fliers. It was pretty much a joke.”

The fliers then were distributed to floor residents who were told to give them to everyone they knew, according to freshman Vince Perrone. Fliers also were posted on other floors, in the lobby and in the bathrooms.

When the resident assistant spotted the fliers the boys were immediately warned of their wrongdoing.

“We went down to see Patty Hall (Stevenson South Residence Hall’s director) and she told us what we did wrong and that if we got any funds to return them,” Ashline said.

He said she also praised them in a way by saying she appreciated the feedback.

One resident said he believes there’s more to this than just a high bill. He said they also want to change the floor to 24-hour visitation.

“There’s more damage on other floors around here, they just want to change the visitation,” Perrone said. He thinks “the powers that be” are just trying to get rid of these residents.

Perrone said members of the floor reached this $980 bill because they broke mirrors and the doors to the fire extinguisher, and clogged drains.

Some concerned friends did call a few of the floor members offering them money, but it couldn’t be accepted. So the boys are left to divide the bill 50 ways and are searching for new homes for next year.