Chicago Public Schools CEO comes to NIU

By LaShaunna Watkins

Arne Duncan, CEO of Chicago Public Schools, and other representatives from CPS will visit NIU today.

Students can meet with the representatives at 11 p.m. at Gabel Hall, Room 126.

Marylin McConachie, vice president of administration for University Outreach Services, said Duncan will talk about the partnerships between NIU and Chicago Public Schools. She said the current partnerships NIU has with CPS are allowing NIU students to do clinical observations and student teaching.

NIU faculty and CPS representatives will discuss the partnerships and how they can be improved. Some NIU colleges have written grant proposals and will present them to CPS for discussion.

McConachie said students should come to the events tomorrow because it is a great opportunity to learn more about what Chicago has to offer.

“Both education majors and students in other colleges who are interested in teaching owe it to themselves to learn about the opportunities to earn good money, enjoy life in Chicago and make the world a better place,” McConachie said.

McConachie said the reason NIU is partnering with CPS is because of NIU’s mission of responsibility for working with partners to solve local problems across Northern Illinois. She said another reason is because NIU students need to learn to work in diverse settings, and Chicago is a great source for that.