Lacrosse club hosts 16-team tournament

By Steve Harnden

The NIU lacrosse club will host the NIU Fall Classic, a 16-team tournament, on Saturday and Sunday at the fields west of Stevenson Towers, where teams from seven different states will be participating.

NIU began the fall exhibition season undefeated in Great Rivers Lacrosse Conference play.

After beating Western Illinois 6-5 and Wisconsin-Eau Claire 10-2 in Division-A exhibition play, club president and team co-captain Jason Magnuson is looking forward to the regular season in the spring.

“In the spring we should definitely make the playoffs, because we scheduled most of our fall games against the elite teams of the division,” Magnuson said.

The elite teams Magnuson reffered to are Minnesota-Duluth, Steven’s Point and Wisconsin. Minnesota-Duluth is ranked No. 8 in the country, Magnuson said.

“The only team we might struggle against in our conference is Northwestern, but we should be able to walk all over the rest of them without any problem,” Magnuson said.

Magnuson, along with co-captain Rob “Hollywood” Bronersky are the only seniors on NIU.

“With the leadership of Hollywood and myself, we will mold the young minds of the new freshman class,” Magnuson said.

The defensive squad is composed of almost all first-year students and players.

“We have a lot of potential and talent and will keep working hard until the off-season begins,” said Kevin Wagner, a freshman defensman.

Justin Arakian, NIU’s starting goaltender, is another freshman on the team.

“[Justin’s] had some huge stops for us and is only getting better,” mid-fielder Aaron Vermedal said. “All of the people who are in their first year have shown a lot of growth, and there should be more to come. I’m very excited to be playing with a group of guys such as these this year.”