Percentage of minority students rises

By Jen Bland

Editor’s note: This is the first part in a two-part series concerning higher education reports on the number of minority students at Illinois colleges and universities. The first part focuses on the results of the reports. The second part will focus on efforts to increase the number of minority students at NIU.

The number of Hispanic and African-American college students is on the rise, according to reports focusing on the representation of minority students at Illinois colleges and universities.

The Illinois Board of Higher Education’s report to Gov. Jim Edgar and the General Assembly on underrepresented groups in public institutions of higher education in Illinois found the percentage of minority students attending universities to be below the percentage of those groups in the state’s population.

The IBHE’s report stated African-Americans represent 15

percent of Illinois’ population, but received only three percent of all doctoral degrees awarded by Illinois universities in 1991.

It also found Hispanics represent 8 percent of Illinois’ population, but received only 2 percent of all doctoral degrees awarded in 1991.

The report stated the total African-American undergraduate and graduate/professional enrollment in Illinois universities was up by 3 percent, from 69,788 in the fall of 1990 to 71,995 in the fall of 1991. These percentages represented a 3 percent increase in undergraduate enrollment and a 7 percent increase in graduate/professional enrollment.

According to the report, the total Hispanic undergraduate and graduate/professional enrollment increased by 9 percent from 25,821 in the fall of 1990 to 28,261 in the fall of 1991. These increases represent a 9 percent increase in undergraduate enrollment and a 13 percent increase in graduate/professional enrollment.

NIU’s annual report on underrepresented groups in Illinois higher education stated that minority students represented 15.7 percent of the undergraduate student body. Of this percentage, African-American students represented 7.1 percent and Hispanic students represented 3.7 percent.

NIU’s report stated the enrollment of new freshmen from these groups remained at 23 percent of all newly admitted freshmen, despite a 31-student decline among African-Americans and a two-student decline among Hispanics.

The NIU report also found an increase in minority representation at the graduate level. African-American student enrollment went up to 205 students, which is 61 percent above the 10-year average. The number of Hispanic students was up by 13 percent.

According to the NIU report, graduation rates are also up. The six-year graduation rate for African-American students increased from 18 percent in 1980 to 22 percent in 1985. These statistics mean that 78 percent of the students in 1985 dropped out.

The six-year graduation rate for Hispanic students increased from 37 percent to 42 percent for the same cohorts, meaning 58 percent of the students dropped out.