NIU open house to welcome about 1,500 prospects

By Jamie Luchsinger

Northern Illinois University will see at least 1,500 potential students today at the open house, said Bob Burk, director of admissions.

Students interested in attending NIU will explore the DeKalb campus today from 9 a.m to 2 p.m., starting at the Holmes Student Center. No reservations are needed.

The open house is the first big event for the newly remodeled Duke Ellington Ballroom, Burk said.

Open house is different from orientation, he said. Orientation brings in already admitted students. Open house, however, is a way to recruit prospective students.

Although some aspects may be similar to orientation, Burk said the open house is considered to be an “overall campus adventure” that introduces students to NIU.

Potential students and their families will meet representatives from admissions, the undergraduate office, health services, the faculty, academic programs and student services. Financial aid staff also will be available for anyone needing assistance.

Current NIU students will lead visitors on a bus tour around campus. Residence halls, an important stop for soon-to-be students, will be visited, along with many other sites.

Visitors can attend the open house at their convenience during the day, Burk said. They do not have to be present the entire time.

Many of NIU’s colleges and departments also are having individual open houses throughout the day. There isn’t a specific time in which each open house takes place, so visitors are free to attend any college or department at any time during the course of the event.

“The earlier, the better,” Burk said. Because campus tours will last until 2 p.m., individual open house receptions likely will be taking place earlier in the day, he said.

Each year, NIU hosts four open houses, Burk said. They fall on Presidents Day, Good Friday, Veterans Day and Columbus Day.

Last October, more than 1,800 prospective students and their families attended NIU’s open house, Burk said.

“It works out well,” Burk said, “because students are out of school those days, even though NIU is in session.”

Visitors can park in the Convocation Center parking lot for free and will be shuttled by bus to the student center.