Event will explore sociology field options

By Jamie Luchsinger

Next week, students will have an opportunity to explore careers within the sociology field.

The sociology department is hosting its first annual event at the Holmes Student Center to inform NIU students about different fields they can go into after graduation. It will last Monday through Oct. 11.

Both sociology and undecided majors are advised to attend, said NIU graduate student Rebecca Ludens.

Law enforcement, health and aging, social services, teaching and assisted living are a few areas sociology majors can get into, Ludens said.

Guest speakers and NIU alumni from the sociology department will be there throughout the week to assist students, Ludens said.

By splitting up the events, the sociology department hopes students will be able to attend at least one of the nights.

Students who can’t attend every night can choose a topic of interest and come that night, Ludens said.

Health care will be discussed Wednesday. Ludens, who also is a case manager for Elder Care Services of DeKalb County, is part of the health and aging alumni panel.

Everyone involved hopes the event will be rewarding and beneficial for students, Ludens said.

Students will have the opportunity to meet faculty and alumni at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Pagliai’s, 1221 W. Lincoln Highway.

In addition, a “SOCI Palooza” will be held from 7:30 p.m. to midnight Saturday. Four bands are lined up to play, said Jack King, an internship coordinator and career advisor for the sociology department.

Music selections include classical rock, heavy metal, punk and a female singer and songwriter, King said. King also is trying to recruit an R&B group for the festivities.

Depending on next week’s turnout, Luden said she anticipates the sociology department will do it again next year.