Coping with college life

By Deanna Cabinian

Leaving home for the first time can be a trying experience. Luckily for NIU students, there are a variety of places to go on campus to deal with adjusting to college and other issues.

The Counseling and Student Development Center (CSDC) provides choice services for students with adjustment-related needs. The CSDC, located in the Campus Life Building, Suite 200, offers individual and group counseling and deals with issues such as eating disorders.

The services are free, but there is typically a 14-session limit on individual counseling. There is no limit on group counseling.

Students can either call to make an appointment or walk in during the hours of operation. Someone is on call 24 hours a day for emergency situations. Students can call the University Police, and they refer the call to whomever is available.

The CSDC also offers career counseling if students are unsure about their major or career goals. There also are career tests that students can take for $10.

Although adjusting to college life can be difficult in many ways, some students haven’t had much of a problem.

“It’s not bad so far – it’s all good,” said freshman electrical engineering major Nick Wagner of his college experience.

Wagner said that the hardest thing about being at college is “getting all your crap together; I always tend to forget stuff.”

He said the hardest adjustment has been being away from home and getting to class. However, he did say that he goes home every weekend so it hasn’t been that hard for him.

Wagner said if he had problems or adjustment issues he probably wouldn’t seek help but did say he “wouldn’t even know where to go.”

Another place providing students with help is the Office of the Ombudsman, located on the sixth floor of the Holmes Student Center.

“We handle all kinds of problems here,” said university ombudsman Tim Griffin. “Students can come in with any kind of problem.”

The ombudsman deals with academic issues, discrimination, harassment, instructor/student misunderstanding, financial concerns, roommate concerns, interpersonal communications, and a multitude of other issues, Griffin said.

Students can walk in or call to make an appointment.

The office offers mediation services and referrals if the student’s concerns can be best addressed elsewhere. All services provided by the ombudsman are free.

Students also can go to the Psychological Services Center (PSC), located in the circular one-story building in front of the Psychology/Computer Science Building. The PSC provides services for NIU students, staff, and faculty, as well as people living in surrounding communities.

The PSC offers psychotherapy and psychological evaluation. They deal with interpersonal problems, anxiety, depression, academic and adjustment problems, sexual issues, family and marital difficulties, and other problems. The PSC offers individual, couple, family, and group therapies.

PSC services are free for full-time NIU students who participate in regular individual or group services. However, students are charged for couple or family therapy and psychological testing. Part-time students pay partial fees. Students should call to make an appointment.