University entrance to be remodeled

By Rob Heselbarth

The main entrance to the NIU campus will be remodeled this summer in preparation for the university’s centennial celebration.

The location of the remodeling is the corner of Lincoln Highway and Castle Drive, on the west side of the East Lagoon.

Patricia Perkins, assistant to the vice president of Finance and Planning, said the design for the new entrance will have the same theme as the original entrance.

“There will be large pillars and ornamental metal gates constructed with similar materials used in the originals,” Perkins said.

“There will be a landscape element involved as well,” she said. “New trees will be installed, beds of seasonal flowers will be added along with evergreen shrubbery to add color year-round.”

She said the estimated budget for the project is $169,700. “It is a Capital Development Board project so the funds will be coming from the state,” she said.

“The original landscaping of the entrance extended from Castle Drive all the way east to the Kishwaukee River,” Perkins said. “The new design will not be as extensive as that.”

She said the bids for the project should go out sometime in late May, with construction expected to begin in June.

Perkins added the whole project should be completed by the beginning of fall semester.

The original pillars and gates eventually fell victim to the elements and were torn down many years ago, she said.

University Landscape Architect Jim Murphy said it is hard to tell right now how much NIU will be involved in the project.

“Until the bids come in we won’t know what part we will be doing,” Murphy said.

He said no extra light will be needed because the existing campus lighting will be enough for the area around the entrance.

“The two big fixtures on top of the two main pillars will be duplicated from the existing campus lighting,” he said.

Murphy said in the future there will be a centennial plaque attached to one of the main pillars.