Philanthropy and service lends a helping hand

By Trinesha Jones

NIU fraternities and sororities are looking for students to participate in rush week and to start getting involved with their philanthropies.

Kappa Alpha Psi is just one of the many fraternities that is involved with volunteering. It has numerous events planned for the school year.

Earlier this semester, it helped the NI Guides with student move-in. It has also held a picnic for students, and just recently it held a blood drive, President Romian Crockett said.

The Kappas also plan to aid the Zeta Phi Beta sorority in its Aids Walk.

Crockett said some of the events are new, such as the picnic and the blood drive.

“It definitely benefits NIU because it brings us together as well as helping us to meet people and get along with each other,” Crockett said.

The Kappas don’t just limit the volunteering to themselves. They let anyone outside of the organization to help out with their philanthropies.

The women of Sigma Lambda Gamma also participate in community service. Most of their proceeds go toward the J. Coleman Foundation for breast cancer.

They hold fund-raisers, and with the money raised, they try to raise awareness about breast cancer. The organization also does other community service such as helping at Hope Haven homeless shelter, going to nursing homes in DeKalb and hosting a recycling event in April.

They also participate in the Aids Walk and DeKalb Crop Walk.

The Sigmas have a Halloween night for the children of DeKalb where the children can come have candy, play games and get prizes.

As far as benefiting NIU, they host a campus clean-up, where they go around and pick up the garbage.

Sigma Lambda Gamma also hosts a blood drive for the NIU students. The main thing is they try to get the students involved and help out as well, said Estela Desantiago, a member of the Sigmas.

“The community service is open to all students,” Desantiago said. “You don’t have to be in the sorority. If you want to come and help out, and come with us, anyone is welcome to do that. You don’t have to be affiliated with us. We don’t force you to join or do anything. It’s all up to the students.”