Rockin’ the New Orleans Room

By LaShaunna Watkins

Believing in Culture hosted its first open mic event of the year on Wednesday night.

Packed into the Stevenson North Tower’s New Orleans Room, NIU students came to express themselves or hear others express themselves.

“We are very pleased with the turnout,” BIC president Alex Gothard said. Many students left because there was no more seating available in the New Orleans Room. Gothard said there were more students in attendance than expected.

BIC members handed out raffle tickets to students as they came in. NIU apparel, a Huskie stuffed animal and Ludacris tickets were raffled off.

The event was hosted by BIC treasurer Kiarri Andrews. Andrews emceed the show and often would break out into song and dance while presenting the various acts. Andrews also said he was pleased with the turnout.

Students at the mic expressed themselves with art forms ranging from rock to rap. One performer, Teddy Hsu, serenaded Heather Skalski, a member of the audience. Hsu rapped a love song to Skalski.

“My boy Teddy was real,” said senior OMIS and finance major Nate Terrado. Skalski said she was honored that Hsu rapped to her. She said she was not expecting the attention.

“I felt like a princess,” Skalski said. “Everyone was looking at me.”

Andrews said he was especially pleased with the diverse crowd.

Students appeared to enjoy the performance.

“Overall, I think everyone performed well,” said freshman biology major Singto Khempaseuth. “I thought it was off the hook.”

Andrews said BIC has many more events coming up. He said BIC is sponsoring a trip to Chicago’s Navy Pier on Friday. He also said BIC would tailgate at Saturday’s NIU football game.

For information about BIC’s upcoming events, call Gothard at 752-1097 or visit their Web site.