Zeta Phi Beta to hold sixth annual AIDS walk

By LaShaunna Watkins

Zeta Phi Beta will hold a week-long educational series for AIDS awareness. The sorority hosts this event every year with the DeKalb County Clinic.

Sheri Cox, vice president of Zeta Phi Beta, said this event is beneficial to all students.

“We feel this is important because it makes the NIU community more aware of the AIDS epidemic,” she said.

Cox said there will be a community service event today. She said the organization and anyone who wants to volunteer can help clean Annie Glidden Road.

On Wednesday, there will be HIV and AIDS testing performed by the DeKalb County Clinic.

“College students should come because this is affecting people in our age range,” she said.

They will hold a question-and-answer session for students Thursday. Cox said there will be games played to display the realities of having unprotected sex. She said there would even be a contest to see who can apply a condom on a protype the fastest.

The AIDS walk will take place on Sunday. This event will start at the Center for Black Studies and end at the Wesley Foundation with a free dinner for those who participated.

Tiffany Williams, vice president of Zeta Phi Beta, said students who feel this does not affect them should come anyway. She said this event will show proof that even though one may not have the virus, it may still affect them.

“There might be someone in your life that may be affected by this,” Williams said. “This issue ultimately affects everyone.”

Cox said it’s not too late to sign up. People can sign up to walk until the day of the event.

If interested, come to the Center for Black Studies at 10 a.m. Sunday. The cost is $5 per person or $30 per organization. For information, call Cox at 753-4953.